Sunday, October 23, 2011

BECOMING a Medico

You are out of that CET world, you walk the corridors of an INSTITUTION having its own culture, achievements and glories... You are smiled at, by your seniors and you just like to roam around in the college wearing that apron... That feeling, when you are asked about directions to a specific ward no. 24 by a poor confused patient, and in spite of having shrugged your shoulders, you still manage to be happy and elated 'coz someone called you a DOC!! Gosh!! Man, you are in a medical college!!! :)
3 months nearly of being a 'Proud Sionite', and I am back home, Kudal, for my Diwali vacation which is indeed nothing but just a preparatory leave, given that our exams start soon after it ends. But nonetheless, you still manage to feel majestic to even show off the huge bags you carry filled with more books and less clothes. Sigh, just that there was no space for Gray's!! (believe me, its a HUGE HUGE Anatomy book). Imagine, opening that in the train, just giving the seat-mate granny a mild M.I. Hihi :P ... But jokes apart, 3 months, just 3 months and there's SOOOOO much to write about.
1st Aug we kick off the day with Dean's address where they give us a warm welcome to the huge family, followed by a tour of entire college by our seniors. The next day we have Ice Breaking by seniors for all of us to know each other better. Yeah, much needed when you are sharing benches with a small Bihari and a huge Punjabi. Man, you feel weird and over-conscious that all these people you are sharing benches with are actually the toppers from their respective places and you are just afraid that you are gonna get your ass kicked surely in the competition. You keep judging everybody carefully, wondering what could be your comfort zone of people. That's really a difficult part, but it passes soon and you start enjoying with everyone as if you all have been chaddi buddies! And the strong anti-ragging council of Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College (L.T.M.M.C) makes it sure that there's not even an R heard from it. But given the fact that all our seniors are just uber cool and pure fantabulous, we all enjoyed the silly "Betty Butter Bought some Butter..." kinda games with all other possible words starting from "B" ( ;) my batchmates might know what I mean :P)
And then start the subject teaching! Gawdddd... Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry! Anatomy with all her sister subjects becomes just ever increasing huge Ocean of knowledge. The amazing logical stimulation by Physio (my personal fav) and Biochem with harldy any time spared from the day stays unread. Much awaited Anat dissections are the best part of all the learning. And what I enjoy the most is that you are in the college the entire day, being bombarded with some sort of information or the other, but yet you manage to not feel tired by it and rather enjoy it. That's maybe because we will be having its direct application further clinically. Sigh, I'm boring myself writing all this.
I decided to not commit my CET mistake of just being a bookworm and hence started singing classes and have joined a gym - Talwalkars. I have already learnt 4 Ragas and performed 2 songs in a small show in the college on Ganeshotsav occasion. I am maintaining (trying rather to) the AMAZINGLY STRICT Diet given to me by the Nutritionist at the gym to help me shed the extra kilos and turn into something fitter if not a macho! Boy, we'll surely require some Biceps to move around the stretchers next year in the wards if they want us to be the wardboys! (that's what I've heard).
Its fun to try and fill up your tummy with loads of healthy veggies and fruits, ordering Sandwiches without potatoes and butter. Given the fact that we survive these days with lunch in college canteen with something just to prevent us from fainting in the practicals, I am way too much enjoying even the simple
Radish sabji made by Aai for lunch. Geez I am gonna completely screw up all my diet effort of last month.
Er, right now, I don't even know what I should write. In fact I didn't have anything specifically on my mind to write about. I usually have a good opening and end for post already made in mind, but right now I'm just typing anything and everything, hence all the weird randomness of the topic. I just thought that this point in life, NOT life as such, but you know the medical career might be an important point where I would like to archive all my FIRST feelings of doing this and that.
I am trying to be much sincere in college. Listening with rapt attention and controlling myself from cracking jokes no matter however strong the instinct. I am actually trying to curb my last bencher's attitude by purposely grabbing a seat, staring at the prof. But given the fact that our (most of the) Professors are just too too too good, it is taken care that you don't doze off with a lullaby. I am trying to know all the 99 people of my batch with their first names and its actually becoming much of a task! I am trying to know my seniors better, as its important and all, firstly. (but secondly, given the dearth of pretty faces in our batch its lot more thirst quenching :P).
Hahaha, and its just yesterday that I went for dinner with Baba's friends and when asked about a specific Haematology doubt, the answer that I got was another question - How many gorgeous girls I have in my college and how many of them I actually have complimented? I told them that I did compliment one for her superbly visible Sternocleidomastoid, they wanted to specifically know about Pectoralis and Gluteus! :D.
The fact that I really read the books I brought home is what actually nauseated them, haha! Geez, convincing them that I don't study JUST to pass the exams was really a Herculean task.We already had 2 part exams which I surprisingly topped (both of them), although I firmly believe that I didn't deserve to even pass the 2nd, given my haphazard preparation.
As Aai sits here, reading what I am typing, its kinda awkward to type all this, (I don't think she knows those muscles) but heck everybody tried to convince my parents that medicine is actually meant to work hard and party harder... Well, the Party part actually sunk deep into me. ;) So I whiled away the entire day today not doing anything much specifically and I am damn sure that my 1st terminal itself is going to be something I won't actually be expecting.

The worst part is, that you look forward to this vacation with huge hopes of completely shoving off all that huge accumulated pile of To-Be-Done work and actually end up wasting it in not so productive or enjoyable activities.. The worst and the most frustrating part.. Sigh. I am just drifting off way too much into randomness. I should just go and give my cerebral cortex the much needed rest after all the PLANNING about studying! Well, it is actually a tiring job! Now all that remains is the Really studying part. (Haah, Aai read that 'awkward' part I just wrote above and gave me a tap on my shoulder and smiled. Now with my 18th birthday soon approaching I am excited about legally being an adult at last. Damn, I've become completely shameless already)

At last this turns out to be quite a boring post, but geez I completed it somehow 'coz I felt some kind of binding responsibility of posting at this moment.

P. S. I keep checking my Blog stats and always there are many new people checking it out with redirections from varied keywords and I wonder what they come to see. But whatever the reason, its nice to know that someone even from Canada also reads all the crap I write. Haha :D

7 comments:

  1. hi!!
    its really nice to read your blog....actually i am going to join mbbs from this august in punjab and was looking for just the matter you have written.....do keep writing more and post some tips for first yr starters too especially for a girl!
    kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want u to write for 2nd year also...about books n everything as u wrote 1st yr guide...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sujay amazing reading ur blogs......very guiding very intresting and true ro heart not to forget very inspiring

    Soom to join medical school
    .Even for parents it is journey back to their med school day.moms from 85 batch and she was telling how almost 50 out of their of 200 failed in first year


    .........
    Keep writing keep inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there!!! Thanks a lot for your blog. I am going to do mbbs this year from Hyderabad, joint capital of Telangana ( the newest 29th state of India ) and AP. Btw, I really really liked your blog even though you keep on telling that its boring. The word 'uber' was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Sujay, I am going to start with MBBS this year in Punjab........ OMG i'm sooooooooo exited.... your blogs are awesome... the flair of your writing and the witty elements just captivate the reader.. I'm defenitely going to follow your advice (dos and don'ts).... this month (as the session starts in september this year) when i'm just trying to get the butterflies in my tummy in control, your blogs help great deal... thank you soooo much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi lad!!
    your blog 'the guide to first year mbbs' was utterly amazing.It's helping me a lot.Your words are kind of inspiration to me and I'm quoting your blog to my professors.Way to go!!Make your blogs interesting ever as you do now.I am a first year student from Tamil Nadu:P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awsome help :D
    I am a 1st year student from tamilnadu and i will be missing 1st two months of college . Will it be hard to cope up ?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving me your valuable time for commenting on this post...